In 1877, Adolph Heinrich Geyer established the very first professional piano factory in Eisenberg. At the beginning of 20th century, Eisenberg was a well-known German City for its own piano making, and was reputed as the origin of modern German piano making. During the World War II, almost all of the piano factories were expropriated, discontinued or destroyed. Fortunately, Geyer family’s piano factory was spared from requisition due to its long history. After the war, government gathered resources from the region and re-constructed the new piano company from the Geyer’s foundation.
During the German Democratic Republic era (1949-1990), Geyer’s factory (named as WILH. STEINBERG AG) was nationalized as VEB Pianofortefabrik Eisenberg and grouped with other piano factories as VEB Möbelkombinat Eisenberg. After the re-union of East & West Germany, Eisenberger Pianofortefabrik GmbH (WILH. STEINBERG AG) was re-established. After that, the factory was named after its state of the country – Thüringer Pianoforte GmbH in the year of 1999.
The annual Music World event in Paris, France, gathers over 300 world renowned piano makers from across Germany and Europe, Asia and America.
Since 1944, WILH. STEINBERG pianos have been recognised with the CHOC award on three occasions. Having won the hearts of many performers with its legendary sound quality and history, it is no surprise that it would be a repeat winner.